The first school in Goodsprings was established m 1907 in a tent southwest of the Yellow Pine store with Miss Winifred Hardy as the teacher. The doors of Goodsprings School opened in September, 1913, to the sound of the bell on its roof. The one-room structure was built by C.W. Price for the total of $2,000. There was a small cloak room just inside the front door and a small library beside that. Outhouses were in the back. The teacher, Miss Katherine Williams, was paid $100 per month, $5 of that was for her janitor work. ~ In 1916, it was necessary to add two rooms onto the back of the school. For the sum of $2,305 Dodds & Williams received the contract This addition became the classroom area of the school while the front room was saved for assemblies and socials. At this time a janitor was hired, and the teacher was removed from that duty. ~ Over the years the school has been remodeled inside and outside, but the basic structure still stands today, including the bell. The school is still in use today.
The first permanent building in Goodsprings dates from 1886. It was built of stone by A.G. Campbell, Jonas Taylor and William Smith who were prospecting in the area. A.G. Campbell was a wealthy mining promoter from Utah who had extensive mining and property holdings in the area including much of the Goodsprings townsite and the Keystone, Argentena Golden Chariot and Barefoot mining properties. Jonas Taylor was a prospector whose properties included the Shenandoah and Honduras. A.E. Thomas occupied this house from 1896-1898 and was the only permanent resident of Goodsprings during that time.
The buildings on this site date from 1915 and originally included the Jensen and Crampton store, the assay office and the home of Justice of the Peace Phil Springer. In 1920, Otto F. Schwartz bought the buildings and the Schwartz General Mercantile store occupied this site until 1934 when the inventory was sold to Pat Sheahan who opened a store in the old Fayle store across from the Pioneer Saloon. Otto and Cora Schwartz were married in 1917 in this building that would be their family home until Cora's death in 1980. The store and house burned in 1988.
The State of Nevada recognized Goodsprings as a historical site with this marker. The marker was placed next to a wooden military barracks building that was moved from Tonopah in the 40's. This building has served as a community center, church and post office.
The cabin at the cottonwood tree has been used as a logo for Goodsprings for many years. The cottonwood tree was probably planted by Joseph Good or another early settler in the 1890's. The cabin has been on this site since 1910 and was first occupied by Jesse Knight and later by Dick Duncan, Johnny Carter, Sarah Williams, George Bardwell and Mickey Egger.
This spring area was first used by Anasazi and Paiute Indians. It sustained the first mule train that pioneered the pack route later known as the Old Spanish Trail between Santa Fe and Los Angeles. Antonio Armijo "commander for the discovery of the route to California" camped here with 60 men and 100 mules on January 11, 1830 He called it "Ojito de Tortuga" or Little Spring of the Tortoise". The spring was later named Good's Spring after Joseph Good, a miner and cattleman, who settled in the area in the 1860's. The spring site extended from the cottonwood closest to the state highway (100 yards west of the Pioneer Saloon) to this monument. The largest cottonwoods were planted at the water sources by Good.
A large 2-story hotel was built on this spot in 1916 at a cost of $27,000. The elegant 20 room Fayle Hotel (built by George Fayle) had electric lights, hot and cold running water and steam heat. The hotel burned in 1966.
The Pioneer Saloon was constructed in 1913 by George Fayle. This unusual building has pressed tin sheeting covering its exterior and an impressive cherry wood bar. The Pioneer was one of 7 saloons that operated during Goodsprings' heyday in 1916-7, but it is the only one remaining.
In 1910, the Yellow Pine Mining Corporation purchased this mill site from the Mineral Union Co. to build a concentrator for ores. The remains of the mill can be seen in this area. The site included housing, a store, and an assay office as well as the mill. The Yellow Pine Mine Railroad, a narrow gauge railroad connecting the Yellow Pine Mine to this mill and the mill to the railroad at Jean, was completed in August 1911. Remains of the grade are visible here and can be followed through town, to the mine and to Jean.
As you leave Goodsprings, stop by the town cemetery to view the graves of many early pioneers. The oldest marked grave is that of Anna Nimmer who was buried here in 1890. The cemetery land was donated to the town in 1913 by A.J. Robbins.