Go directly to the menu.
Goodsprings Township, in southern Clark County, Nevada encompasses the historic towns of Potosi, Sloan, Stateline, Sandy Valley, Jean, and Goodsprings.
Historically, all of these settlements are linked, and together form the focus of the Goodsprings Historical Society. Each town will be featured in a separate section.
The springs here were first used by Anasazi and Paiute Indians. They were identified in 1830 by the first caravan to travel the route later called the Old Spanish Trail.
Mining occurred earliest in the district in 1856, when Mormons from the Las Vegas Mission opened a lead mine at Potosi, the oldest lode mine in Nevada. The Goodsprings or Yellow Pine Mining District was established in 1882, based on four claims. The most valuable was the Keystone, a gold property. In later years, the numerous, highly varied mineral deposits of the area were tapped by hundreds of mines. Historical data through 1962 indicates this district provided one-third of the total metal production for Clark County.(1) While most of the mines closed after WWII, interest in non-metallic minerals is high and prospects are promising for discovery of new minerals.